Communications among then-President Ruth J. Simmons, members of the Steering Committee and the Brown community from 2003 to 2006 are collected here:
- President Ruth J. Simmons’ letter to prospective committee members, April 2003
- Committee chair’s letter to the Brown community, March 2004
- President Ruth J. Simmons’ thank you letter to the committee, October 2006
- President Ruth J. Simmons’ letter to the Brown community, October 2006
- Steering Committee’s letter of acknowledgements, October 2006
Library Collections and Archives
Voyage of the Slave Ship Sally
Historical documents related to the slave-trading voyage sponsored by the Brown brothers of Providence are available in the Brown University Library collections. In 2006, the Slavery and Justice Steering Committee presented this collection of documents as part of its report.
Slavery and Justice Report News and Press Archive
The Brown University Steering Committee on Slavery and Justice began its work upon receiving its charge from President Ruth J. Simmons in 2003. Early University announcements and press releases about the activities and events surrounding the committee’s work are collected here. This ranges from the release of the Slavery and Justice Report and the University’s response through the earliest years of the fulfillment of some of the major recommendations of the report.
Read more about Brown’s teaching, research, scholarship, community engagement and University initiatives addressing legacies of racial slavery in our contemporary world.
Have additional questions or research requests? Contact the Center for the Study of Slavery and Justice.